Sunday, June 23, 2013

Zen Resonance

I read these two things today and they really went "ping!" deep down.

  •  Being enlightened isn't something you become, it is something you continually do
  • "There are no enlightened people, there is only enlightened activity." Suzuki Roshi 

I often harbor the mistaken belief that if I just meditated long enough or correctly enough that I would become this enlightened person.  But, as in all things, it's not until we put in motion our intentions and beliefs that we reap the rewards of being awake.  I think some people call this walking your talk.  Suzuki Roshi takes a huge load off me.  I don't need to be an enlightened being in order to feel worthy of existence.  I can just be.  And I can do things, make choices about my responses and reactions, every moment of every day.  Sometimes my choices are going to be skillful and mindful, other times they are going to come from a deep unconscious place with no mindfulness whatsoever!

Welcome to the human race.