Thursday, June 27, 2013

History is Made!

It's been a long road.  Nine years ago I married in San Francisco when it was briefly legal.  It was a celebration of love, friendship and community.  It was history in the making.  A couple of days later I hopped on a plane to D.C. for a work conference, and there on the television in my hotel room was a video of my wife and I getting married.  A surreal experience to see myself on television, on the opposite side of the country.

Yesterday, once again, I found myself on FOX News (if you can believe it) holding a sign saying "Marriage is for EVERYone" in front of our local community center. I was there, awaiting the news on the Supreme Court decisions on DOMA and California's Prop. 8.  Both came in on the side of liberty and justice.  You can read about DOMA here.  For Prop. 8 here in California, it means that Prop. 8 was unconstitutional and marriage licenses for same-sex couples must be issued.  The Governor can lift the current stay immediately, or wait for the Court of Appeals to lift it, which will take about 25 days.

Personally, there is a tinge of sadness in the middle of all this joy.  I am not part of a happy couple proudly proclaiming my love.  My story is that my divorce will be final next month.  I watched as couple after couple interviewed for television news, saying essentially many of the same things I said 9 years ago.  I was sending them my heartfelt good wishes and I hope their unions are long and happy ones.  Even though my divorce is imminent, I am still overjoyed that the courts decided this way.  It's not about me, it's about justice for countless U.S. citizens.
Celebrating at the Press Conference

Interviewing with Fox News

In states where same-sex marriage is legal, with the striking down of DOMA it means that married couples will now be able to file joint federal tax returns, receive over 1,000 benefits formerly offered only to heterosexual married couples. 

We've come a long way, and we still have a long way to go.  Securing the right to marry is one of many agenda items to tackle in securing a safe and steady existence for LGBTQIA (Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual/Transgender/Questioning/Intersex/Allies).  A cautionary note from Canada reminds us to remain vigilant.  So we shall.